Community and parent volunteers are a vital part of the school. Parents supplement the activities and programs at the school, creating opportunities that are beneficial additions to the learning and development of the students. It is through volunteer efforts that the school is able to offer additional educational opportunities and resources that benefit the educational experience for all.
Teachers are responsible for coordinating duties for volunteers working in the classroom and in the school. Teachers are responsible for assigning parents to duties such as:
- Working with individual students or groups of students
- Preparation of materials
- Any other required duties inside or outside the classroom
Parents are encouraged to identify where their skills might best be utilized or how they might be of help to the teacher, but the final decisions regarding volunteer placement rests with the teacher.
If you are interested in helping in the classroom, you will be provided with a volunteer form to select ways to become involved. They include the following:
- Help prepare instructional materials either at school or at home.
- Help with celebrations in the classrooms (e.g. Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, End of the Year).
- Accompany the class on a field experience.
- Help with class special projects (e.g. stitchery, science experiments).
- Assist children with their learning (e.g. listen to a child read).
- Share a talent, skill or information with small or large groups of students.
- Assist students during Center Time (a time for students to choose activities such as using the play areas, reading centres, computers, craft areas, etc.)
- Help with general classroom upkeep.
How to Become a Volunteer
As part of Parkland School Division Administrative Procedure 316, all volunteers are required to:
- Complete a Volunteer Registration Form
- Provide a Criminal Records Check
- Provide a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Sign a Confidentiality Agreement
Please review the Division Administrative Procedures regarding volunteers.
- AP 316: Volunteer Requirements and Vulnerable Sector Verification
- AP 318: Volunteer Community Coaches
For more information contact:
Parkland Village School